Are you craving the irresistible crunch of fried chicken, but want a healthier option? Look no further! In this guide, we’ll show you how to make incredibly crispy fried chicken using an air fryer and cornstarch.
Our easy-to-follow recipe will yield golden-brown chicken pieces that are as delicious as they are guilt-free. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with this finger-licking delight.
Read More : How to Cook Non-Frozen Dumplings in an Air Fryer
How to Make Crispy Fried Chicken in an Air Fryer with Cornstarch
Preparing the Chicken
Before diving into the cooking process, it’s essential to prep the chicken correctly:
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks work best)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Cooking oil spray
Preparing the Chicken
- Start by patting the chicken pieces dry with paper towels. This helps the cornstarch coating adhere better.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs together until well beaten.
Coating with Cornstarch
- Cornstarch Coating: The secret to achieving that delightful crispiness lies in the cornstarch coating. Coat each seasoned chicken piece with a thin layer of cornstarch. This coating ensures a crunchy exterior while keeping the chicken tender and juicy on the inside.
- Let It Rest: Place the cornstarch-coated chicken on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. This resting period helps the coating adhere better and results in a crispier texture.
Air Frying Process
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Set your air fryer to the appropriate temperature (generally around 375°F/190°C) and preheat it for a few minutes.
- Arrange the Chicken: Carefully place the chicken pieces in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Avoid overcrowding to ensure even cooking.
- Cooking Time: Cook the chicken in the air fryer for about 20-25 minutes, flipping the pieces halfway through for uniform crispiness.
Achieving Maximum Crispiness
- Lightly Oil the Chicken: For an extra crispy finish, you can lightly spray or brush the chicken with oil before air frying. This step enhances the crunchiness of the cornstarch coating.
- Shake and Check: Gently shake the basket a couple of times during cooking to prevent sticking and promote even browning. Check for doneness by cutting into a piece to ensure there’s no pink in the center.
Serving and Enjoying
- Let It Rest: Once the chicken reaches a beautiful golden-brown color and is cooked through, remove it from the air fryer and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish your crispy fried chicken with fresh herbs or a squeeze of lemon for an extra burst of flavor. Serve it alongside your favorite dipping sauces.
FAQs (How to Cook Crispy Fried Chicken in an Air Fryer with Cornstarch)
Q: Can I use boneless chicken for this recipe?
A: Absolutely! Boneless chicken pieces work wonderfully and cook slightly faster.
Q: Is cornstarch better than flour for coating?
A: Yes, cornstarch yields a lighter and crispier texture compared to flour.
Q: Do I need to marinate the chicken before coating?
A: While marinating isn’t necessary, it can add more depth of flavor to your chicken.
Q: Can I stack chicken pieces in the air fryer?
A: It’s best to avoid stacking for even cooking. Cook in batches if needed.
Q: What dipping sauces go well with this chicken?
A: Try barbecue sauce, honey mustard, or a tangy ranch dressing for a flavorful pairing.
Q: Can I use frozen chicken for this recipe?
A: It’s recommended to thaw the chicken before cooking for even results.
Indulge in the ultimate crispy fried chicken experience with the magic of an air fryer and the goodness of cornstarch coating. This easy-to-follow guide has taken you through every step to achieve a crunchy exterior and juicy interior. Enjoy the satisfaction of creating restaurant-quality fried chicken right in your own kitchen. Follow these instructions, and you’ll be delighting in the perfect fried chicken in no time!